Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

Hello from Arizona!

Hi there, friends!  I'm writing from the nastiest hotel room EVER (negative) but my husband is laying on the bed in front of me (positive) so those two things cancel each other out, right?  We are in Arizona and staying on Luke Air Force Base, Karl's new duty station, until our new apartment is ready to move in to on Friday.  By the time we check out of this dump place, we will have spent 10 lovely nights here.  I have never been more excited to live in an apartment.  I feel like I've flashed back to that two weeks where Karl & I shared a twin size bed when I visited him in Korea, except we are sharing a full size bed, which may as well be a twin size bed when it is 85 degrees in the room and you can basically see the germs closing in on you from every side.  But who's complaining about really little lame things :)  See paragraph #4.

The drive here was really nice!  While we are basically in the desert, the view from anywhere here is breathtaking!  We are in a valley so there is mountain range in all direction!  Every sunrise (which I have seen, see: bed situation) and sunset are glorious.  There are huge Gumby-esque cactus everywhere.  Beautiful flowers, awesome parks and trails, TONS to do- shopping, outdoor activities, restaurants- this really is a great place to be stationed!!  I definitely don't feel like I'm in the South.  Women dress differently, I've definitely not heard any "y'alls,"and I had the only top knot in sight at church on Sunday... but it's cool, I won't let anyone bring that down.  While people are definitely not rude, I don't feel like I've really had any experiences with people going out of there way to be friendly like I experience regularly in Texas & Arkansas.  I'm excited to be here!  Excited to be a light in a place that may not be as "Christian" as the other places we've lived, excited for Karl to be at a base with easier work hours, excited to be close to California (holla at you, Ardis'!!) and other fun weekend destinations!

In addition to all of that, being reunited with Karl is awe.some.  Reality from Karl & I: it is hard to get reacquainted after a year apart and independent living for both of us.  Welcome to an often overlooked aspect of military life.  We are getting back into a groove while continuing to allow God to use this past year to draw us both nearer to Him and each other.  More honesty: I love him more than ever and cannot wait for this year of adventure with him!!
his homecoming :)

In keeping consistent with this post being all over the place: shoutout to my bestie Jacki, reading this here blog from a hospital bed.  I intend on keeping this thing interesting so she has something juicy to read everyday while Baby K keeps growing. And I can't mention Baby K without asking for some extra special prayers for them- for Baby to stay right where he is for much longer!!

So everyone plan your vacation to see us!  We can see the Grand Canyon, shop & spa in Scottsdale, road trip to wine country, head a couple hours north and ski... I mean, honestly, lets do this people!

And because this was a VERY wordy post and that is lame to not include some pictures...

Our attempt at a family picture this summer.
This is literally as good as it got.  

Emma's Bid Day... yes I know, I've already blogged her initiation.  
Best Pi Phi day ever, every single year!!
Love it!!  

and a random adorable picture of my BIL Jeremy blowing out his 30th candles and Oliver having the time of his life.

On the docket for this week: mine and Karl's unconventional hotel Thanksgiving, Family Weekend in Fayetteville, Baby Lucy and her expected arrival in no more than 3 weeks, our Friday move-in and some apartment deets, and me and Karl's weekend rendezvous in Alaska (which occurred approximately 3 months ago.  Suit me.).  Sounds juicy, right?  Especially the Alaskan rendezvous.  You'll like the rendezvous.

From the state that doesn't observe daylight savings (sounds snobby, right?),
Hannah K.C. Burton

2 comments:

  1. No daylight savings time?! That floors me. I'm so glad you two are back together, mostly so I can see blog updates more often ;)
    Love you, 'mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I've missed your updates!
    2. Your hair is so long! Love.
    3. No dst=crazytown. I am all for it. Early nights make me sad.

    ReplyDelete