So I'm back with an update to all my mysterious stomach probz. I had an upper scope... also known as a esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Say that three times fast. The result was a diagnosis of Eosinophilic Esophagitis, or EE. The gist of it is that I have allergies to foods which trigger acid reflux which causes scarring on my esophagus which in turn makes my esophagus small and causes food to get stuck. Allergies=eosinophilia cells. Those shouldn't be in your throat. Having those in your throat=more of the tiny throat rings. So really these bad foods are creating this perfect storm/horrible cycle. More on EE here.
I am SO GLAD to have an answer!! My gastroenterologist thinks I've had this condition for years, definitely since my stomach pain started in junior high. EE has only been commonly diagnosed and known about for the past 5 years so it would have been difficult to diagnose when I was younger. As for the food allergies, I had a dairy allergy as a baby that my parents assumed I outgrew as my symptoms disappeared (skin hives, swollen lips). My allergist thinks those allergies never went away, rather they just changed how they manifested, now causing reflux instead of hives.
Again, I am SO SO THANKFUL and praising God for these answers!! I have a close friend with unique health problems too and we talked about what a blessing it is to know what is causing out troubles! So many people go their whole lives without a diagnosis and a plan. I am praising God!!
So yesterday I went to my allergist and had skin testing done on my back to determine what foods are causing the problems. Skin testing, if you aren't familiar with, consists of one-at-a-time allergen-soaked needle scratches to your back... worse than getting waxed, better than dental work {in my humble opinion}. Then the doctor checks to see which ones you react to. The result was and still is shocking. Turkey, pork, chicken, lamb, potatoes, onion, almonds, peanuts, milk, & eggs {also the not shocking cat, dog, trees, mold, pollen, etc}. I am still wrapping my brain around eliminating all of these things from my diet and what that will look like. This is certainly not a pity party. I am excited to feel better, to draw strength from God when I am sick of seafood and soy, and to not live in fear of my health issues! I can't wait to blog about failures and successes in the kitchen while I try new recipes with egg substitute and other weird ingredients. On the other hand, I also will not let this rule my life. I won't turn down a piece of wedding cake, a meal at a friend's house that includes a delicious piece of chicken in a cream sauce, and I won't sit by idly during Thanksgiving while my family chows down on ham. I'm going to give these diet changes my very very best effort but I will not obsess over it, expect others to accommodate me, and most importantly I will not feel sorry for myself.
In bible study right now we are studying Joseph. He had years, YEARS of unjust suffering in the midst of serving his father obediently, then serving as a slave in Egypt loyally, he cared for prisoners while he was one, he was humble and just once he was delivered from his suffering... he didn't complain, he didn't pity himself. Most importantly, he relied on God and gave God glory in his suffering and in his success. I definitely do not have a life comparable to Joseph, however, it has been good to study this lesson this week!
So, that is where I am at. It is my first full day on the new plan. I did realize and take full advantage that a McDonalds quarter pounder with extra ketchup isn't excluded from my new diet. And I also found milk-free chocolate-covered pretzels. All is well.
almost basically accidentally vegan,
Hannah K.C. Burton
P.S.: Have any recipes that fit my almost-impossible new standards?! Send me them!!




praying for you, hannah!
ReplyDeleteI've had to go almost totally dairy and soy free. So...recipes a plenty. lol
ReplyDelete