
Karl left 4 days ago. It has not been a fun 4 past days. For my own memory: Karl left on Monday afternoon and flew from DFW-Phoenix, hopped on a plane in Phoenix headed for Seattle, and had about a 12 hour overnight layover in Seattle. We booked him a hotel room at the airport in Seattle but by the time he got to it and then had to be back at the airport (at 2 am) he only had about 4 hours to spend in the hotel but I guess it was enough to get him a shower and a couple of hours sleep. Super early Tuesday morning he arrived back at the Seattle airport and waited around until is 7 am flight to Japan, which was 11 hours. I heard from Karl once he was in Japan and then again about 5 hours later when he had arrived in Kunsan- his final destination! He has internet in his room and we have gotten to Skype several times already! Unfortunately, his unaccompanied baggage that was shipped to Korea (literally a month ago) won't be there for another 10 days so he's having to make due with minimal bedding/bath stuff. Bums me out. I feel so much gratitude towards the Lord and just feel awfully blessed for the past several months to have gone like they have. We have had such wonderful time together and with family and friends and I am just beyond thankful. I have experienced so much grace and peace and comfort as of late and have felt so encouraged by such sweet friends and family who have been lifting us up to the Lord- what a privilege it is to be encouraged that way. While all of the above is true, in the interest of full disclosure I think what I've said about him leaving thus far gives me too much street cred... let it be known that this is not fun and it is basically crap. I have been having to work extra hard to keep this all in perspective- we are healthy, have each other, have the promise of eternal life and God's perfect plan, and have so much support, however, this still sucks and is definitely not all rainbows and butterflies and I'm basically an emotional ticking bomb. Be warned. So, I'm working to balance this focus-gurrrl-he's-alive-and-well-so-suck-it-up with gurrrlie-let-your-honest-pity-party-feelings-out! So there you have it. I'll spare you the rest of the inner workings of my head and just share some fun pictures and outings we enjoyed the last week he was here. Man have we had an awesome time!
 |
| We enjoyed some ice skating, per Karl's request. Note how close I am to the side of the rink. My safe place. |
 |
this will probably embarrass Karl BUTTTT I enjoyed some last cuddling... when I have ever enjoyed cuddling anyways? When in Rome...?
|
 |
| We got to have dinner and super fun time with Jacki & Abe and somehow this weird pic is all we have to show for it. |
 |
| At Jeremy's last game with one of our favorite people- Kristen! |
 |
| Family movie on Saturday! I feel like this looks like an optical illusion... how we go on and on and on into the darkness. |
 |
| Last morning together... also right before Karl shaved his beard off :( |
 |
| Oh just the housemates. |
 |
| lunch the day he left |
 |
| Missing Matt! |
 |
| I was able to go thru security with him and wait at his gate! Loved those extra minutes. |
Thank you so much for the encouraging texts, prayers, and sweet messages that I've been receiving! I'm already counting down until he comes home this time next year. And it just so happens to be Veteran's Day ANNND Karl's 4th anniversary of serving in the Air Force. I'm super extra thankful for Karl and the job that he does today. I'm also super extra grateful for the service of both of my grandfathers, my father-in-law, and my brother-in-law- such awesome, servant-hearted men who have served this country!
Hannah K.C. Burton
No comments:
Post a Comment